Saturday, July 2, 2011

I'm Glad I Don't Speak Latin

Everyone wants to think they are different, but I feel that I have found the reason why I am. I don't think I know how to explain myself adequately when any person inquires after facts about me based upon opinion. I have always felt that I'm allowed to know what I do and don't like. This feeling extends to others and their likes/dislikes. As the latin maxim teaches us: De gustibus non est disputandum, which is to say: Don't taste the people you argue with. I think this is the reason why I was perceived as a shitty missionary. For two entire years, I would knock on doors and ask people if they wanted to talk about Jesus. When they would politely tell me, "No thanks, we're happy with our faith and how we live it", I would thank them for their time and walk away with a genuine feeling of happiness for their contentment. So when someone asks me about personal information, I always assume they are curious about who I am so they might get to know me better. What I say is, " I am a Mormon and a Democrat who dislikes eating Fig Newtons, mayonnaise and listening to country music." Based upon their reaction, what THEY hear me say is, "YOUR MOTHER IS A WHORE!" And a terrific assault upon my feelings and beliefs ensues. I wish people would stop talking to me.

2 comments:

  1. Really? Cause what I thought you said was, I'm a free thinking individual that enjoys having a brain not tethered to the hive, so suck it.

    I thought it was well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy reading your blog and am equally as glad that your mother doesn't read it.

    ReplyDelete